Friday 22 March 2013

In The Wellness Corner with Emily Chan-Norris


Welcome to another Friday in The Wellness Corner. I'm thrilled that we are joined by Emily from Embrace True Health. I have been following Emily for ages now and her insightful, knowledgeable posts kept me coming back for more. It was through her blog that I first understood what mindful eating was (which I wrote about that just last week). Be sure to check this girl out!

Introducing Emily... 




Name: Emily Chan-Norris
Age: 31
Location: San Diego, California

Can you tell us in a sentence or two what you do?


I show people how to lose weight, boost their energy, reduce their stress and feel more confident without dieting, depriving themselves or feeling overwhelmed. I mostly support women in their 30s and 40s who are motivated and ready to do what it takes to create happier, healthier lives for themselves.



What first made you interested in health and wellness?


I used to be depressed, tired, stressed out and have bad skin. When I discovered the healing power of real food and let go of the toxic foods I was addicted to, I became happier, my energy soared and my skin cleared up. I was so amazed at the impact of diet on overall health and well-being that I wanted to share it with the world! Now when I eat foods that don’t serve me, all of my old symptoms come back almost immediately. It’s quite remarkable.



What keeps you motivated to practice what you preach?


My business keeps me motivated. It’s really difficult to inspire other people to get healthier when I don’t practice what I preach. When I make self-care a priority, not only am I being a healthy role model for my clients and followers, but I’m significantly happier, I have more focus and drive, and I feel more connected to my life’s purpose. Everybody wins!




What staples would we find if we went rummaging in your kitchen?


Lemons, leafy greens (especially kale, my favorite), broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, apples, chia seeds, hemp seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, cinnamon, stevia, sea salt, and ground pepper.



What is your favourite on the go snack?


My go-to travel snacks are nuts (macadamia nuts, cashews, and almonds), some kind of nut/seed bar, or a protein shake. When I want to get really fancy, I’ll make a wrap with almond butter or sunflower seed butter, sliced banana, cinnamon, and a couple drops of stevia or raw honey.



If you could share one piece of advice loud and clear with the world what would it be?


Set yourself up for success by creating an inspiring and empowering environment for yourself. Clear your kitchen of tempting junk food and restock it with whole, unprocessed foods. Let go of the toxic people in your life who drain you and surround yourself with positive people who support and inspire you. Take pride in your living space by clearing out the clutter that’s weighing you down. It’s easier to stick to healthy behaviors when you’re in a healthy environment.



What could you not go a day without?


Plenty of sleep, water, and greens! They help keep my mood and energy levels high throughout the day.



Favourite quote?


"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live." ~Jim Rohn



Could you share a recipe with us?


Absolutely! This is a recipe for Chia Pudding, an easy and tasty treat, healthy enough to enjoy at any time of day.


Chia Pudding 

Yields 1 Serving

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
  • 1/2 cup Coconut or Almond Milk (unsweetened, plain)
  • 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 5 drops Liquid Stevia (or sweetener of choice, like raw honey)
  • Tiny dash Sea Salt

Directions

  • Combine all ingredients in a small bowl (or mason jar), stir (or shake), and cover
  • Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes
  • Remove from refrigerator and stir
  • Put back in refrigerator for at least another 10-20 minutes (feel free to leave it in the fridge overnight if you want to eat it in the morning)
  • Remove from refrigerator, stir, and enjoy!

Variations

To make this a more filling snack or meal, add toppings after removing from the refrigerator. Topping ideas include coconut shreds (unsweetened), sliced banana, berries, or hemp seeds. Chia seeds have a pretty neutral flavor so they go with pretty much anything!

To make this a chocolate-y treat, add 1/2 to 1 tsp cacao powder to the mixture (and stir) before putting it in the refrigerator.

Get connected:

Websitewww.EmbraceTrueHealth.com 
Facebookwww.facebook.com/EmbraceTrueHealth 
Twitterwww.twitter.com/EmChanNorris 
Pinterestwww.pinterest.com/EmChanNorris 



No comments:

Post a Comment