Wednesday 16 January 2013

A Confession + Getting Back on Track Snacks


Yay, I'm back! I know we are half way through January so I'll just quickly say I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. 

Now for my confession...

I ate sugar over Christmas. Ahhh! Yes, it's true. The girl that goes on and on and on about how bad it is for you and how there are so many more alternatives that taste just as good. Well I guess like for a lot of us during the festive season busyness and stress creeps in and it's easy to fall off the wagon. Not that I'm making excuses! 

It was a wonderful lesson learnt because I felt like absolute rubbish! My mood went down, my energy went down and I was constantly craving sweets. So you can imagine how ready I was in the new year to cut the crap and get back on track. 

That's what I've done and boy does it feel good! Eating good, clean, whole foods makes me feel great and satisfied. I am focused back on being organised to make getting back on track as easy as possible. 

Here are a few of my get back on track snacks that I keep around to make life easy. 

A big favourite and a staple in my fridge. Hummus and veggie sticks. I like to dip carrots, celery, peppers/capsicum, cucumber or sugarsnap peas.


This one actually feels like a treat! Granny smith apples and almond butter. Granny smith apples are much lower in sugar compared to other fruits and combined with almond butter is sooo tasty. 


Green smoothies. I like to make a double batch in the morning so I can have some for breakfast and store the rest in the fridge for easy access snacking or a ready to go breakfast the next day.


Yummy roasted nuts feel like a treat as well. You can find one of my recipes here. A handful of these babies is all you need.



Keep a big salad in the fridge for easy snacking or a quick lunch or dinner. Pictured here is red and white quinoa with raw chopped veggies including cherry tomatoes, sugarsnap peas, mung bean sprouts and avocado. Topped with tangy tahini dressing. So much crunch!


 I also find keeping prepared veggies in the fridge useful. You can throw it in with anything like cracking an egg or two with it to make a quick omelette. 



There you go, just some of the things I like to keep around to remind me how delicious real food is without processed sugar and additives! And a new motivation to give more things a healthy makeover at Christmas so I don't feel like I'm missing out. 


What do you like to have on hand to keep you on track?





No comments:

Post a Comment